This pumpkin cake is a delicious option for those looking to avoid refined sugars. Using maple sugar and maple syrup as sweetening agents, this recipe offers a more natural alternative without sacrificing flavor. The maple cream cheese creaming complements the cake perfectly, creating an absolutely divine dessert.
Ingredients for the cake:
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (optional for added flavor)
- 1 cup salted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup maple sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk or juice (to balance texture if needed)
Ingredients for creaming:
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup salted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup maple syrup (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional for added flavor)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9-inch removable pan.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
- In another bowl, beat the salted butter and maple sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the pumpkin puree and vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, mixing until everything is well incorporated.
- Add milk or juice to balance the texture, if the texture of the dough does not seem soft enough to you.
- Pour the batter into the pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then unmold and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Beat the cream cheese and salted butter until well combined.
- Add the maple syrup and vanilla extract, and beat until smooth.
- Once the cake has cooled, cut it in half horizontally to add a layer of creaming.
- Spread a layer of creaming on the bottom half of the cake.
- Place the second half of the cake on top.
- Spread another layer of creaming on the top and sides of the cake.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
What types of sugar can I use?
We recommend using maple sugar or maple syrup for authentic flavor.
Can we add other spices?
Absolutely, you can add ground ginger or cloves for extra depth.
How long will this cake last?
It can be stored for up to 3 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
What type of mold is recommended?
A 9-inch removable pan is ideal for this recipe.
Does the cake require any special cooling time?
It is advisable to let the cake cool completely before assembling it with the creaming.
Can we cream in advance?
Yes, the creaming can be prepared up to 2 days in advance and stored in the refrigerator.
Is this cake suitable for special occasions?
This cake is perfect for all occasions, whether for the end of year celebrations or to celebrate a special event.